Network code

Technical discussion for those interested in Supermodel development and Model 3 reverse engineering. Prospective contributors welcome.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Network code

Postby Bart » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Sorry, I haven't touched it in nearly 2 weeks because of this VR show coming up this weekend. Will look at it again beginning Saturday. I think I'll actually finish up the TAP stuff first.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 pm

see, low hanging fruit first :)
Ian

Postby nuexzz.. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm

SailorSat wrote:
There is a "enable" bit/register that is used to turn the comm board logic on/off by the PPC.

There are two locations which hold the "node id" and "node count" - this were actual bytes on the m1/m2 - maybe bit masks on the m3.

I remember finding this integer of 2 bytes dayto2pe 0x737b93 , which on/off 0-1 the network board (it does not matter if the game is in single)
here state load is svn (270) uf long time. https://www.sendspace.com/file/5zvp49

so in this 0x737bxx address range is the network board.
nuexzz..

Postby Bart » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:30 am

What you found is a value in PowerPC RAM space, not the comm board space, which is not in the save state.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Boomslangnz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Looks like this cooled right off with everyone expecting Nik to return

Properly a good chance he won't :( I hope progress keeps happening on this!
Boomslangnz

Postby Spindizzi » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:47 am

Hello,
I don't know if I must continue my investigations about netboard since Nik's return.
Any news about his (lost ?) work ?

I made changes about the trigger of the network code downloading, and it's seems to work for all games now (not only daytona2).
Irqs have asserted/deasserted using autovector.
I think irq5 must be throw at every frame, and mame thinks irq2 must be send at every register writes. Others irqs are juste an rte, I suppose, that permits the ppc to receive an irq from network card. I have not already looked at Irq 1.
The code runs further but block always for same point for all games except dirtdevils/lemans24 that apparently start to initiate dial
Nik (in his notes) has discussed about a counter that he increments during the init of the netboard at every frame. Anyone have an idea about this counter ?
About the io register/ctrl register, I've just mainly adapted the mame source code. The mame developers have greatly cleared up the things that remained unclear for me

Concerning security I take note : no more exe, however, I don't know if you download/open compressed archive (the url diff files I've already posted) that why I'll post directly the diff files on the forum (rar version because txt,cpp not allowed)

Follow your advice, adding preprocessor directive in code (NET_BOARD) and also adding EmulateNet=(0 or 1) in config file
Bad idea to think of allowing me access to svn, lol. Everything must be checked by someone who knows the system very well

Many thanks for advices about assembly
I know a little about 68k and z80 but not about ppc and emulator more generally
Hum, frustrating process you said ? I confirm this (and time consuming), lol
++
Attachments
netboard-diff.rar
patch diff netboard
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Spindizzi

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 am

I don't know if I must continue my investigations about netboard since Nik's return.
Any news about his (lost ?) work ?

Everything is in this thread! So unfortunately no news yet. Maybe he lost the code :(
Ian

Postby Bart » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I think we need to give him some time. Didn't he mention it was on a computer that's packed up in storage? He's been pretty busy with life and I can see how it could be tough to find a few hours to unpack the machine and locate the code. Either way, I would encourage anyone who is interested to continue investigating the network board code. Even if Nik finds his code, we're still going to have to understand what he may have deduced about the network board's operation in order to proceed and improve the emulation (which was far from perfect last I saw it).
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am

Bad idea to think of allowing me access to svn, lol. Everything must be checked by someone who knows the system very well

Personally I don't think it's a bad idea. If you are just working on the network part, even if you never finish it. At least that code will be there for someone else :)
Ian

Postby Boomslangnz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:31 am

No more work being done?
Boomslangnz

PreviousNext

Return to The Dark Room