Model 3 official emulation on Yakuza games!

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
ArcadeStriker

Re: Model 3 official emulation on Yakuza games!

Post by ArcadeStriker »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:21 pm Explain to me like I'm a 7 year old: which of these games am I supposed to buy to find the Daytona 2 mini-game?
dragon.jpg
Its Like a Dragon Gaiden, the one that says Nov 8, 2023 as it was recently released.

Infinite Wealth, which releases at the start of next year, will have VF3tb, SEGA Bass Fishing and Spikeout as well, while this one only includes Daytona 2 and Fighting Vipers 2. The others don't have any Model 3 games included at all.
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

PDNEJOH wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:23 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:21 pm Explain to me like I'm a 7 year old: which of these games am I supposed to buy to find the Daytona 2 mini-game?
dragon.jpg
It's the Gaiden one
The one that I have highlighted ("The Man Who Erased His Name") released Nov 8 2023?
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

ArcadeStriker wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:43 pm
dragon.jpg
Its Like a Dragon Gaiden, the one that says Nov 8, 2023 as it was recently released.

Infinite Wealth, which releases at the start of next year, will have VF3tb, SEGA Bass Fishing and Spikeout as well, while this one only includes Daytona 2 and Fighting Vipers 2. The others don't have any Model 3 games included at all.
Aha! Thank you! I'll get it.
Ferrarifan

Post by Ferrarifan »

It's really great that SEGA finally took the effort to bring Daytona USA 2 and Fighting Vipers 2 on modern home consoles and PC's. Though I wish a NA Dreamcast version of FV2 exist. I brought the PS4 version of Like a dragon Gaiden the day it was launched. It took some time to get into the arcade because of the games cutscenes and fighting levels. Plus, I didn't realize that Motor Raid along with VF2 is included which is a nice surprise.

When I started playing SEGA Racing Classic 2, it almost looks identical to the Supermodel version except the it looks slightly brighter and the engine sounds are very different as well as the sensitivity of the steering which I'm trying to get used to. I noticed while playing the PS4 version, the frame rate has some slowdown and its noticable during gameplay while racing against the opponents and I think it has something to do with the PS4's APU being underpowered or the emulation isn't optimized for the console. I hope someday we'll see SCUD Race(remove all licensed car names and sponsors) to home consoles too. I wish these games should've been standalone in its own world
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

The sounds aren't emulated, they play samples directly. I've heard they removed the Dodge Viper pace car from Daytona 2, so if they did Scud Race, they'd have to change all the car models, too. In that case, it wouldn't be the same game, in my opinion. If I can't play as the McLaren, I don't want to play at all. If they dropped a souped-up Hornet in, I'd give it a chance.
segaduck

Post by segaduck »

https://www.4gamer.net/games/755/G075563/20231121025/

I found the new article about Model3 games in Yakuza 8.
For short, SEGA said the model 3 games are emulated and achieved by a "genius programmer" of SEGA who developed the emulator in his leisure time .

Because of the article, I doubt the statement very much and suspect SEGA uses Supermodel emulator's codes without any notification.
Last edited by segaduck on Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Because of the article, I doubt the statement very much and suspect SEGA uses Supermodel emulator's codes without any notification.
I had wondered the same ..
There are some differences between their emulation and ours, but it's extremely close.

I said about the micro-textures, but the real3d also has something called contour texturing. It's a totally unique (to the model3) texturing model that has some sort of pixel dilate algorithm. It's built into the mipmapping code. Again it's very subtle, you have to really have a keen eye to even notice it. Well this is part of the shader code for our renderer .. well they also replicate this too. But somehow didn't manage to fix the 2 pixel 2d alignment issue.
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

The Yakuza emulator appears to use Direct3D. How hard would it be to intercept and decompile the shaders? I think Direct3D shaders are compiled and rather than distributed in text source form like our GLSL shaders.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Modern shaders are super portable
If i recall nvidia even has tools to automatically convert between languages
biggestsonicfan

Post by biggestsonicfan »

Greetings all, long time!
segaduck wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:58 amFor short, SEGA said the model 3 games are emulated and achieved by a "genius programmer" of SEGA who developed the emulator in his leisure time
As far as my research can tell, that would be Hitoshi Iizawa. The emulation of the Model3 games, the Model2 games, Virtua Fighter 5, and all the way back to the RingWide's emulation of Daytona USA as Sega Racing Classic were all done by this person. The emulator executables themselves all share the same type of codebase, or come from the same sdk. There is an implementation to play Virtua Fighter 5 from Yakuza 6 called YAMP which allows you to play the emulator by itself outside the Yakuza game. Since the emulators all share the same codebase, with some intense research and reverse engineering, it's technically possible to get these things running outside their parent games.