Model 3 official emulation on Yakuza games!

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
Whytona

Re: Model 3 official emulation on Yakuza games!

Post by Whytona »

Not sure if this helps answering the questions, but:

https://youtu.be/4IgcEeK40Qg

There are some subtle differences, although of course they might just have lifted some revision of Supermodel's source and tinkered with it.
Motommy

Post by Motommy »

Hi, I'm from Japan. A web article in Japanese has this to say about it.

"According to Moriji Aoki and Toshiaki Yuasa of Sega in an interview with 4Gamer, the staff who ported "Dennou Senki Virtualon Oratorio Tangram" to the Xbox 360 and were also called "runaway programmers," developed the emulator on an experimental basis in their spare time. According to Moriji Aoki and Toshiaki Yuasa of Sega, the staff member who ported "Dennou Senki Virtualon Oratorio Tangram" to the Xbox 360 and was also called a "runaway programmer" was experimentally developing an emulator during his spare time from work. This may be the same reason why MODEL 3 titles are used in the game center of "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden" and "Ryu ga Gotoku 8" games.

Another reason "Virtua Fighter 3tb" was chosen was to differentiate it from "Virtua Fighter esports," which is currently in operation. The game's gameplay is clearly different from the other titles in the series. The fact that there are still game centers that hold "Virtua Fighter 3tb" tournaments and that there is a need for it was also a factor in the decision."

Virtua Fighter 3tb is currently running in arcades in Japan again using this emulator.
Motommy

Post by Motommy »

The Interview with Mr.Aoki(from SEGA) on the Development of Model 3 Emulator goes like this:

Aoki Moriharu (SEGA):
 "The First Division, which I belong to, is also called the Ryu ga Gotoku Studio. As you know, many mini-games are available for the "Ryu ga Gotoku" series, but hardware specifications have improved compared to the past, and the possibilities for emulators are expanding. For example, the idea was that if we made a MODEL3* emulator, we would be able to bring new arcade titles to users."

4Gamer:
 And you officially launched the MODEL3 emulator development project?

Mr. Aoki:
 "It wasn't so grandiose as to be called a project; it was just one genius programmer using his spare time from work to experiment with it."

4Gamer:
 Huh? Speaking of Sega's genius programmer, there is a person who started making "Oratan" (Dennou Senki Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram Ver. 5.66) for Xbox 360 on his own. ......?

Mr. Aoki:
 "I think it was probably that staff member (laughs), and we started collecting information and materials on the MODEL3 emulator about two years ago. There was no guarantee that it would be completed, and we were proceeding on an experimental basis first, but it was completed successfully. In fact, this was an amazing feat. Some of the programmers in charge at the time had already retired, and we had no idea who to ask. In addition, we couldn't find any documents, so we had to start by going through the warehouse."

"The Dragon Engine used in the "Ryu ga Gotoku" series is running two Virtua engines, Virtua Fighter esports and 3tb. The Dragon Engine itself runs on PCs and has a high affinity with APM3, and after the MODEL3 emulator was completed, operation was smooth. If we made our own emulator, it would be easy to add extra features, such as adding an online battle element to this title, and we can make detailed adjustments when we release future MODEL3 titles."

"If we are talking about it as a dream of Sega fans, a "MODEL3 Collection" where you can play MODEL3 titles on home consoles would be great. Of course, we have no such plans (laughs).
 I am sure that topics such as the distribution of the APM3 version and the inclusion of "Dragon's Dogma 8" will expand everyone's imagination, and I hope that this will be the beginning of the process of stimulating such demand. If we receive strong requests from everyone, I think there is a possibility that we could consider it."
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

Thank you for the translation!