Help me to compile Supermodel on macOS Sonoma(Apple Silicone) "no LC_RPATH found"

Linux geeks and macOS hipsters unite! A board for discussion of Supermodel on non-Windows platforms.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
Motommy

Help me to compile Supermodel on macOS Sonoma(Apple Silicone) "no LC_RPATH found"

Post by Motommy »

Hi guys I've been a big fan of Supermodel. I still clearly remember the excitement I felt when I first ran ver. 0.2a.
(And of course I've been a big fan of SEGA arcade games).

About a month ago I got the binary file for Apple Silicon and tried running this emu for the first time in ten years and was really surprised!
I didn't know how hard you had been working on this for the past twelve years...
I can't help but respect your constant efforts.

Now I've just got my M2 Macbook Air so I thought I could do more on my new mac using the latest code.
I got the source codes from Github and tried compiling it.
*I'm sure I've read the Build Instructions 20 or more times...and I got the latest SDL2&SDL2_NET in /Library/Frameworks

Compiling finishes with some warnings and I am able to get supermodel.bin, but whenever I try to run it I get the message like the one below:

---------------------------
dyld[28479]: Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2
Referenced from: <E26C6CCD-0B9C-3918-A2D0-AF5AF9A35C62> /Users/motomu/Downloads/Supermodel-master/bin/supermodel
Reason: no LC_RPATH's found
zsh: abort ./bin/supermodel /Applications/Supermodel/model-3-romset-2020/fvipers2.zip
---------------------------

My Supermodel seems to be unable to find LC_RPATH for SDL2.

I looked everywhere for the hints but now don't know what to do next...
Could you please help me get out of this?
How can I make Supermodel find RPPATH?
Bart
Site Admin

Re: Help me to compile Supermodel on macOS Sonoma(Apple Silicone) "no LC_RPATH found"

Post by Bart »

Hopefully someone can chime in. I have an M1 Mac but haven't yet tried building Supermodel on it. I'm off to CES next week but can look at this afterwards. We also have a git PR that I feel awful about that has been there for months and would add support for GitHub actions (automated Supermodel builds for all three platforms on GitHub!) I need to get to it.
Motommy

Re: Help me to compile Supermodel on macOS Sonoma(Apple Silicone) "no LC_RPATH found"

Post by Motommy »

Bart wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:08 am Hopefully someone can chime in. I have an M1 Mac but haven't yet tried building Supermodel on it. I'm off to CES next week but can look at this afterwards. We also have a git PR that I feel awful about that has been there for months and would add support for GitHub actions (automated Supermodel builds for all three platforms on GitHub!) I need to get to it.
I really appreciate it my hero!
andresito

Post by andresito »

Hi!

I ran into the same problem as you did and found a solution!

As already concluded, the executable is unable to locate the SDL2 framework, so I found a way to fix it.

I googled around and found a tool in macOS terminal called "install_name_tool", which can be used to set the "rpath" straight.

So in my case I entered the following command in my terminal window:

Code: Select all

install_name_tool -add_rpath /Library/Frameworks/ supermodel
(assuming you have the SDL framework in that directory!)

make sure you are in the same directory as your compiled supermodel executable when entering this command.

Let us know how it went! :D
Motommy

Post by Motommy »

Hi, andresito
Thank you for for reply. "install_name_tool" worked perfectly and my Supermodel is now able to find rpath! No SDL problems anymore!

...However there's another kind of errors appearing
Supermodel: A Sega Model 3 Arcade Emulator (Version 0.3a-WIP)
Copyright 2003-2023 by The Supermodel Team
GPU info: 4.1 Metal - 88 (core profile)

Title: Scud Race (Australia, Twin/DX)
ROM Set: scudau
Developer: Sega
Year: 1996
Stepping: 1.5
Extra Hardware: Digital Sound Board (Type DSB1), Drive Board, Net Board

ERROR: 0:86: '&' does not operate on 'unsigned int' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:90: '&' does not operate on 'unsigned int' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:91: '&' does not operate on 'unsigned int' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:125: '&' does not operate on 'unsigned int' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:126: '&' does not operate on 'unsigned int' and 'int'
ERROR: 0:127: '&' does not operate on 'unsigned int' and 'int'

ERROR: One or more attached shaders not successfully compiled
This error message says that there's a problem about compiling shaders.

I really appreciate your help, anyway. I've been struggling for months.
Do you have any idea about the error message above?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'll see if I can fix those. Apple is the only vendor that is super strict about signed/unsigned maths in the shaders
Motommy

Post by Motommy »

Ian, thank you for the info.
I'll do a web search myself and see what I can find out.
If you can find out anything, I would appreciate it if you could let me know.
andresito

Post by andresito »

The only way I got it working on my M1 Mac is by running supermodel with the old 3d engine (-legacy3d):

Motommy

Post by Motommy »

Hi andresito thank you again for your reply.
I can't thank you enough for offering me the solution for rpath problem, thanks to which my biggest problem has gone!
I also tried it on the other Mac I have (Intel MacbookPro 2018 13inch) and it works perfectly on that machine too.

Now I am trying to run a game with -legacy3d in the terminal, encountering a problem with another kinds of error messages.
Error: 'epr-21119.ic8' with CRC32 0x65082b14 not found in '/Applications/Supermodel/model-3-romset-2020/swtrilgya.zip'.
Error: Optional ROM region 'driveboard_program' in 'swtrilgya' could not be loaded.
GPU info: 2.1 Metal - 88

ERROR: 0:3: '' : version '410' is not supported
ERROR: 0:3: '' : syntax error: #version
ERROR: 0:6: 'layout' : syntax error: syntax error

/Applications/Supermodel/Launcher(bat)/StarWarsTrilogy.command: line 2: 1526 Segmentation fault: 11 /Applications/Supermodel/Supermodel-master/bin/Supermodel /Applications/Supermodel/model-3-romset-2020/swtrilgya.zip -legacy3d -fullscreen -wide-screen -wide-bg -res=1920,1080 -ppc-frequency=166

Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
I'm looking for a solution about missing epr-21119.ic8 rom problem on the web and am not sure whether these error messages have anything to do with the missing rom or not...
※as for my Intel mac doesn't show the error messages regarding the shaders so I don't think this is related to the missing ROM
Last edited by Motommy on Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Motommy

Post by Motommy »

The missing rom problem has been solved by getting the latest romset.
However the error regarding the shaders remains even though I'm using -legacy3d option.
GPU info: 2.1 Metal - 88

ERROR: 0:6: 'layout' : syntax error: syntax error

zsh: segmentation fault /Applications/Supermodel/Supermodel-master/bin/supermodel -legacy3d