PowerPC clock speed now automatically set to board values

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
PoloniumRain

Re: PowerPC clock speed now automatically set to board values

Post by PoloniumRain »

k_rollo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:11 am Just to note, the latest version of Sega Model 3 UI (04/10/2022) only allows 1 as lowest value.
Users can always manually delete the option from the Supermodel.ini.
This doesn't work. Sega Model 3 UI will just create the same PowerPCFrequency entry again once you open it. Is there any way to get around this issue?
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

The author of the UI needs to fix that.
Nuexzz

Post by Nuexzz »

I would not be understanding this exercise of adjusting the automatic PPC... it is advantageous and logical for PCs that run supermodel without performance problems. I guess it's because some games need more hardware than others, it's 2024 🤣
If you have a super PC I don't think you need to lower the frequency at which the processor works...
PoloniumRain

Post by PoloniumRain »

Nuexzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:33 am If you have a super PC I don't think you need to lower the frequency at which the processor works...
For me it's about accuracy. I have a very high-end PC but still want to use the automatic frequency setting. Raising the CPU frequency wont get me higher frame rates anyway being as these games are locked at 60fps and already run perfectly at their intended frequency. It also helps newcomers because it's one less thing they have to worry about. The manual frequency setting is becoming less and less relevant as hardware gets faster. Any remotely recent hardware will easily run Supermodel.
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

Nuexzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:33 am I would not be understanding this exercise of adjusting the automatic PPC... it is advantageous and logical for PCs that run supermodel without performance problems. I guess it's because some games need more hardware than others, it's 2024 🤣
If you have a super PC I don't think you need to lower the frequency at which the processor works...
Automatically setting the PowerPC frequency to match the emulated game is the correct behavior and is what Supermodel should have always done. MAME would do this, for example.

Here is the easy way to update your UI:

- Add a checkbox above the frequency slider: "Override PowerPC frequency". By default, this should be *unchecked* and the slider should be disabled (grayed out). In this state, either set PowerPC frequency to 0 in the config or remove it altogether.
- When the override option is checked, allow the slider to be used, and then set whatever the user wants.
k_rollo

Post by k_rollo »

PoloniumRain wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:30 am This doesn't work. Sega Model 3 UI will just create the same PowerPCFrequency entry again once you open it. Is there any way to get around this issue?
Frankly, I only use it once and never open it again. After the initial setup, it's easier for me to directly modify the Supermodel.ini. I use LaunchBox anyway as my frontend.
Framed_Niner

Post by Framed_Niner »

I upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5 5600x. This fixed the flicker and can now run Supermodel at full speed.
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

A simple solution for people having problems with the UI might be to just use 166MHz as the speed. Have not tested but games should be fine as they all measure clock cycles taken by a frame and are therefore relatively clock speed invariant. 166 is what Step 2.x need anyway and it’s a surplus for the other games.
k_rollo

Post by k_rollo »

Bart wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:22 am A simple solution for people having problems with the UI might be to just use 166MHz as the speed. Have not tested but games should be fine as they all measure clock cycles taken by a frame and are therefore relatively clock speed invariant. 166 is what Step 2.x need anyway and it’s a surplus for the other games.
That is a good tip. Thanks Bart.