Welcome to the New Forums!

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
orimarc

Re: Welcome to the New Forums!

Post by orimarc »

Hello there, you lovely bastards!
Jiterdomer

Post by Jiterdomer »

Bart wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:16 am
Jiterdomer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 am I'd like you to thank me for making a Discord server as a shelter when the old forum is down. Do you think you can able to post on both this and to my Discord server? Because I made a backup forum just in case if this shuts down again.
Thanks a lot for creating the Discord! Is there a permanent invite link I can post here? As for cross-posting between Discord and phpBB, I don't see how that would even be possible.
https://discord.gg/j7u4wAwRCp
This is my permanent link to the Supermodel Emulator Discord.
ArcadeStriker

Post by ArcadeStriker »

A fresh new board and coat of paint with the very familiar look of before...that's pretty nice :lol:

Great to see that the new forums are working; the username I created back in 2011 was DaytonaFan, and it feels weird to think that I will have to move on using that name in these forums after years of sticking to that account despite having got this new username years later down the line, but I'm glad that I'm able to see the emulator hit 20 years in the first place.

And to think that 8-10 of those years were quite influential to me because since I saw Daytona 2 on the arcades as a kid, that is what got me so invested into trying to emulate it on my PC and is the reason why I had grown fond of messing with emulators to this day. I still find it kind of funny that back then I had thought on saying "just use free play" back when Virtua Fighter 3tb for some reason had issues to coin in. To go from that and visual issues in many games, to then playing VOOT on my laptop back in 2016 while recording from my laptop's camera on the TV since it was slow to record through the PC itself-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fahEtDx ... adeStriker

To then today now having a PC that can handle playing these games now at fullspeed unlike back then where I sometimes asked my brother to play on Daytona USA 2 on his PC since his desktop could run it better than my laptop...

...Though I have to use Supermodel Version 0.3a-svn-865 specifically since I think an update to the GPU code now results in big slowdowns with my modest AMD Radeon HD 6570 GPU, but I don't even mind that since it runs all the games AND was from when the link-up support was finally added and working with the games. To think that after years the multiplayer support finally became a reality and was possible to play Daytona USA 2, Scud Race and Spikeout in multiplayer (something that not even the freshly-released ports in Like a Dragon allow you to do either) is insane.

All in all, I'm glad to see that so many old names I had spent reading here while roaming through these boards are still fine and around today, and seriously, thank you Bart and collaborators for all the years of hard work on developing this emulator to salvage many of these old and for many years, completely forgotten gems of the arcade era :D
petran79

Post by petran79 »

Just when I was to revisit the forums after quite some time and saw that old credentials would not be accepted!
nohero

Post by nohero »

Hey all and thanks for new forum! 8-)
LeSpank

Post by LeSpank »

Hello everyone. Looking forward to getting that old familiar pink look back again! ;)
segaduck

Post by segaduck »

Congratulations!!

So happy to see the new forum!!!
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

LeSpank wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:23 pm Hello everyone. Looking forward to getting that old familiar pink look back again! ;)
I promise to get on it soon :)
k_rollo

Post by k_rollo »

Bart wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:35 amThe old forum was unfortunately broken by a necessary server upgrade and is still archived here.
Hey Bart, thanks for the new forum!

I noticed the old forum also appears to have the upgraded version of the phpBB, which looks like the new forum (unless there are backend forum engine stuff different from the new forum). Any technical reason why we could not just continue with the old forum? Just curious. :)
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

k_rollo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:48 am
Bart wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:35 amThe old forum was unfortunately broken by a necessary server upgrade and is still archived here.
Hey Bart, thanks for the new forum!

I noticed the old forum also appears to have the upgraded version of the phpBB, which looks like the new forum (unless there are backend forum engine stuff different from the new forum). Any technical reason why we could not just continue with the old forum? Just curious. :)
The old forum is just a series of static HTML pages I captured with a crawler. There is no backend anymore. I was unable to figure out how to migrate the old forum's database to the new version of phpBB.